Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
Chef Rollins' Fall Sweet Potato And Black Bean Quesadilla With Bacon Sour Cream
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
For the quesadillas:
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1⁄2 inch thick*
3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 can of 12 to 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
6 to 8 large flour tortillas
2 to 2 1⁄2 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese
1⁄2 cup raw diced bacon
3⁄4 cup sour cream
Bacon sour cream salsa, optional
1. Add the sliced potatoes to a large saucepan and add enough water to cover the potatoes. Add 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt to the pot. With the heat on high, bring the water to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes and then add to a large bowl. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes. Add the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano and chipotle peppers. Mix until well combined.
2. In a medium heated skillet, sautéed diced bacon until crispy, drain off grease.
3. Sautéed black beans and green onions until hot.
4. Place the tortillas on a work surface. Use a spatula to smear about 1⁄3 to 1⁄2 cup of the filling on half of the tortilla. Top with about 1⁄4 cup of the cheese (or to taste). Fold the empty half of the tortilla over the filling to form a semicircle. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
5. In a medium to hot skillet, spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Place an assembled quesadilla in the pan and cook, flipping once halfway through, until both sides are browned and the cheese is melted.
6. Cut into triangles and serve with bacon sour cream or salsa.